Friday, August 20, 2010

Real Men Watch Chick Flix.


I'm sitting on my slouchy brown living room couch next to Ryan. Bug and Beast are passed out next to us. We're watching an HBO special on the NY Jets. My girlie mind is fascinated in seeing behind the curtains on these superstar players. I want to meticulously observe them searching for every shred of gossip to discuss afterwards. (We usually spend an hour before bed looking things up online and watching YouTube). Tonight I want to look up Mark Sanchez who I think looks exactly like Brody Jenner. And I'll probably gush about how much I love coach Rex Ryan (who was eating a gigantic bag of pretzel M & Ms during a meeting. Have you tried them? You should.)

Before the show started Ryan said, with twinkles in his eyes, "Do you mind it we watch it?! We can watch a girlie show first". That right there is (one of the reasons) why I love him. Ryan indulges me in endless chick-flix and ubber trashy girl TV. He listens to all of my rants on celebrities ("OMG Justin Bieber is driving a Lambo. Isn't he like nine?!!") and lets me play Cosmo Radio in the car whenever I please. When our guy friends scoff at my TV taste he defends me saying if you don't take any of it seriously it can be hysterical.

My Tivo schedule is a smorgasbord of humiliating reality TV shows, Bravo contests, HGTV design shows and sports games. Shouldn't everything in a relationship be a compromise? I'm not trying to change the fact that Ryan plays Halo and watches football. He's not trying to change my obsession with gossip magazines and Real Housewives. It takes mutual respect to be able to compromise. He understands that I can only bear about an hour of Halo, and I understand that he'll watch my Housewives but can't put up with Rachel Zoe. We respect each other's boundaries.

Sometimes it pays off to let our guys do their thing. I got to write this blog! And equally as rewarding- I got to watch the entire Jets team test out the Shake Weight. Seeing Mark Sanchez hold a jiggling bar in front of his mouth-Classic.









No comments:

Post a Comment