Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Magnificent Pita Pizza!




Mmm..Pita Pizza
Being from NY, pizza is an important part of my life. Every time I go back to NY I make it my number one priority to have a pizza night. To curb my cravings while I'm living in NH I created a substitute- Pita Pizza. It's cheap, fast and easy. It's also healthy, and requires no blotting. ( My boyfriend always yells at me when I blot my pizza for oil, but did you know just a few dabs can remove 1/4 the fat off your slice!? So worth it) My favorite combination is shown in the picture above. Here's what to do:
*Preheat your oven to roughly 400 degrees, or turn on the broiler. (my kitchen in NH has no digital thermometer, so the temp. is never exact)

Ingredients (per person):
  • 1 Pita bread
  • 3-4 T pasta sauce of choice (I like Butoni's Tomato Basil)
  • 1/4 cup Italian blend cheese (light is fine.)
  • 1/4 of an avocado
  • fake peperoni (or real if you eat meat!)
Steps:
  • spoon on sauce
  • cover in cheese
  • dice avocado and spread on pita
  • layer on the peperoni
  • pop it in the oven/broiler for about 1o minutes
Since I'm on a grocery budget I often make this dish to use up the scraps in my fridge. I've tried all kinds of variations. It works well with any cheese if you don't have any Italian cheeses on hand. I've done it with American, Gouda, Swiss...it always turns out well. Play with this dish, nothing needs to be measured. Today I made one with tuna and BBQ sauce!
Let me know how it turns out- happy eating!




No comments:

Post a Comment